Thursday, January 6, 2011

I want to save a rescue dog. . . .

I'm on several email lists that discuss various topics in rescue. Groups of strangers across the country join together to share thoughts, ideas, and suggestions to help pets in need. There are email lists that deal specifically with fundraising ideas, others that help transport pets from one end of the country to the other. Animal lovers share food recipes, medical information, and shoulders to cry on. Whatever your question, someone, somewhere on an email list can help.

For me, one of the challenges of finding a forever home for a foster dog is dealing with the applicants who are not the best choice for that particular dog. A rescue takes dogs into their hearts because the dog came from a sub-standard kennel or they were strays fending for themselves. Perhaps they were surrendered by an owner who could no longer afford their care or they had been tied outside for years. Or, their beloved owner could have died and they have no place to go. Most dogs in rescue have had a difficult time at some point and we want the rest of their lives to be better. For my fosters, I want the adopted home to be a great fit for both the adopters and the foster because I want the foster to be safe, loved and happy. Finding that home is often a process- kinda like the saying "you've got to kiss a lot of frogs before you find Prince Charming."

The poem below was emailed on one of my dog lists and included permission to share.  I've never met Marti Hough, the author of the poem, but I think we are sisters of the heart. . . .

I Want to Save a Rescue Dog

I want to save a rescue dog that no one else would pick.
But please... I couldn't handle one that was too old...or sick.


I want a dog with fluffy hair that's silky to the touch;
A dog I wouldn't have to groom (the work would be too much!).

My allergies are bad, and so the dog must never shed
or jump up on my velvet couch or sleep with me in bed.

The size is not important, but the dog can't be too tall.
And while I'm not being choosy, I'd prefer he not be small.

Cute and cuddly, sweet and smart and one who doesn't chew.
Of course he must be housebroken (my carpeting is new).

A dog who's quiet in his crate (I work twelve hours a day);
A dog who isn't hyper, and yet one who likes to play.

Of course all vetting must be done (it's easier for me).
And I don't want to pay a lot for an "adoption fee".

Ah, yes...it truly warms my heart to save a dog in need.
I'll pick a dog that no one wants: a noble choice indeed!


A dog that no one else could love: a homeless dog that's needy....
I only wish those rescues weren't so fussy--and so greedy!

Marti Hough
One Starfish Rehoming Connections
www.onestarfish.petfinder.com

No comments:

Post a Comment